Out of the Global workforce, 12.6% of people work in clothing, fashion & textile production. And The Indian textile and garment industries, as per India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), contributed 2.3 percent to India’s GDP. And the enormous opportunities in diverse sectors attract students with creative zeal to opt for fashion design courses.
However, many students pursue a diploma or bachelor’s degree in fashion design. But it is the MBA in fashion design that offers more career opportunities and a handsome salary. In this blog, we’ll further explore the advantages of an MBA over Other Fashion Degrees.
Fashion design courses
In India, fashion designing institutes in Delhi, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Kolkata, etc. offer fashion design courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma levels.
- MBA in fashion design- MBA in Fashion Design is a two-year postgraduate management program that focuses on expanding and maintaining brand awareness and product recognition through media and advertising. For students who are interested in learning business management and fashion, this course fulfills the necessary purpose.
- Bachelor’s in Fashion Design– Bachelor’s in fashion design is an undergraduate course in fashion. Some fashion designing institutes in Mumbai offer this course for 3 years, whereas some offer this course for 4 years course duration. The course gives the students a solid awareness of the fashion industry, as well as many creative and sustainable practices, the evolution of trends, and fashion sensitivity.
- Diploma in fashion design– Fashion designing colleges in Delhi and others such as LISAA, offer a one-year diploma course in the field of fashion. Students who want to learn basic technicalities, and want to develop their creativity in fashion, pursue this course.
Eligibility Criteria and Syllabus of different fashion designing courses
|Diploma in Fashion Design
|Bachelor’s in Fashion Design
|MBA / PG diploma in fashion designing eligibility
|Students should have passed class 10+2 level from any recognised board of education.
|Students should have cleared the 10+2 examination with any recognised institution.
|Students should have a bachelor’s degree in any stream from an accredited University.
|Diploma in Fashion Management
|Bachelor in Fashion Design syllabus
|MBA / PG Diploma in Fashion Designing syllabus
|⦁ Fashion Design and Illustration
⦁ Textile science
⦁ Basic pattern-making and garment construction
⦁ Computer-aided Fashion Design
⦁ Advanced pattern-making and garment construction
⦁ Fashion ornamentation
⦁ Fashion Merchandising
|⦁ Apparel Construction Methods
⦁ Computer-aided design
⦁ Colour mixing
⦁ History of costumes
⦁ Elements of textile
⦁ Fashion illustrations and design
⦁ Fashion studies
⦁ Fabric dyeing and printing
⦁ Apparel construction methods
|⦁ Economics and Management Decisions
⦁ Visual Merchandising
⦁ International Fashion Marketing
⦁ Business Communication and Negotiation Skills
⦁ Qualitative Techniques
⦁ Competition and Strategies in Fashion
⦁ Organisational Behaviour
Advantages of MBA in fashion design over other fashion design courses
Career Opportunities– With a master’s degree/ PG diploma in fashion design, students get the chance to broaden their career prospects into wider domains such as film, clothing, brand marketing, fashion designing, advertising, social media, etc with better remuneration and job position than a bachelor’s or diploma holder in fashion management. Also, government organizations such as the Indian silk export promotion council, and National Handloom Development Corporation employ MBA fashion management graduates.
The popular job options received by students are
⦁ Apparel Production Manager
⦁ Fashion Designer
⦁ Costume Designer
⦁ Sales & Retail Manager
⦁ Business Developer
⦁ Product Manager
⦁ Project and Event Designer
⦁ Fabric Buyer
⦁ Fashion Buyer
⦁ Marketing Manager
⦁ Cutting Assistant
⦁ Showroom Sales Executive
⦁ Fabric Quality Control Manager
- Experiential learning- MBA in fashion designing colleges put a strong emphasis on experiential learning, assisting students in learning through the ideal balance of seminars, workshops, real-life projects, and case studies. Additionally, it gives students the chance to interact meaningfully with top-tier professionals and experts in the fashion industry.
- Networking– During the fashion design course in colleges such as LISAA, you will get an internship opportunity, national/international education trip, industry exposure, workshop, and seminars, where you will get the chance to meet veteran designers, stylists, and managers of the fashion industry. And the formal relations built with them during your master’s program will be a valuable asset in creating future job opportunities and recommendations for you.
- Personality development– MBA program will give you better industry exposure than any other course in fashion design. And it will help you develop your technical as well as soft skills such as communication skills, presentation skills, negotiation skills, etc.
- Portfolio building– A portfolio plays an important role in securing a job in the fashion industry. And top design schools such as
- LISAA, Bangalore will help you develop a portfolio that will distinguish you from other job seekers.
Also Read: Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design: Course and Career
The fashion industry is one of the prominent industries students with creative skillset prefer to join. However, completing bachelor’s or diploma courses will give you career options but having an MBA degree will help you in getting better job prospects as well as open entrepreneurship possibilities for you. So, if you have made up your mind to join the fashion industry as a designer, stylist, or manager, do not forget to check out eligibility for MBA in fashion designing at the design school you are aiming to get admission to.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which degree is best for fashion design?
You can join the fashion industry after completing a bachelor’s in fashion design, but an MBA in fashion design is the best degree for making a fruitful career in the fashion design field.
- What is MBA in Fashion Design?
The MBA program in fashion design is cleverly constructed to integrate managerial concepts relevant to the global fashion industry with numerous business aspects of fashion design, production, merchandising, marketing, etc.
- Is there MBA in Fashion Designing in India?
Yes, there are various top fashion designing institutes in Delhi, Mumbai, and Bengaluru that offer MBAs in fashion design in India.
- Which career is best in Fashion Designing?
Fashion product manager, sourcing manager, and design director are some of the best and high-paying jobs in fashion design.
- What is the salary of a master in fashion?
According to PayScale, the average salary received by MBA fashion design graduates is Rs. 4,08,000 in India.